[Public-list] thru hulls and seacocks and ball valves

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Sat Jul 17 03:50:30 PDT 2004

I almost sent a post to the original message regarding seacocks/ball valves.
I'm slowly putting in ball valves in all my thru hulls; I think seacocks are
for a previous era of seamanship.

Best I can tell, seacocks advantage is they can be torn down for inspection
and maintainance (in fact, you pretty much have to every pullout). Can't do
that with ball valves, but with teflon coated stainless, one doesn't need
to.

there may be dissimilar thread issues with ball valves and thru hulls, and
2. on some ball valves the shaft that holds the handle is common steel-it
will eventually rust to non function.

I have a ball valve under the engine  in the bilge teed off the seawater
intake (for winterizing, etc.) been in place 20 + years. still works
perfectly.

Michael Grosh