[Public-list] thru hulls and seacocks and ball valves

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 06:53:16 PDT 2004

Use ball valves. I converted 20 7 years ago and they still work great.
Seacocks are for either wooden vessels or vessels with thin glass hulls
(modern boats). Technically they are the 'proper' yacht thing to do, but
most of the ones I have seen have not been installed correctly because no
one wants to drill the bolt holes thru the hull for the flange bolts - I
certainly wouldn't wat to, just another possible place to spring a leak.

Also do not switch to 3/4" - it would mean that you would need to change all
of your hoses and connections at the other end or get into using adapters to
change hose sizes (another undesirable idea). 1/2" are available - call
Fawcett's in Annapolis and order them, even though Fawcett's is often
referred to as 'Tiffany's', the have great prices on some things (valves and
thru hull fittings being one of them) and their quality of parts is better.