[Public-list] thru hulls and seacocks and ball valves

barchettamia at pinelink.org barchettamia at pinelink.org
Thu Jul 22 21:07:40 PDT 2004

I used ball valves for 10 years on my engine intake in fresh water with no
problems. But, there is a thread problem. Ball valves have tapered pipe
threads, thru hulls have straight threads. More importantly though there
is no ball valve that is 100% bronze.They may last quite a while but If
you use them I would replace them after 5 years or so.

Before moving to Salt water I replaced all my thru hulls and added Apollo
seacoocks and new hoses. It was a lot of work and it wasn't cheap. I did
change to 3/4 for the engine intake and also used a variety of bronze hose
barbs  (90 degree, straight ...) and bronze fittings.

Its given me piece of mind.

Jim Allocco
Barchetta Mia #565

 I almost sent a post to the original message regarding seacocks/ball