[Public-list] Possible day-sailer project

Melissa Currier mcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Jul 22 11:39:03 PDT 2004

Interesting thought.  We have certainly "day sailed" our Alberg 30 as is,
but if you have the bug, I feel I should raise a few possible
considerations for you.

1) The mast is stepped on the upper deck, not the lower forward step of
the cabin, so you will need to somehow retain that portion of the deck and
beam.  May keep the v-berth, head and locker as an intact cuddy cabin?

2)  If you have ever sailed an Alberg with people sitting on the cabin top
or lounging anywhere midships you will know that you can't see where you
are going from anywhere you can reach the tiller.

3) In designing your new deck and "tanks", you would have to provide
adequate, reachable access ports for everything that you can currently
reach amid cabinetry in the cabin... chain plates, bolts for the jib
tracks and toe rails, etc.

That's what came to mind for what it's worth...

As for available "project boats", there are several in the mid-400s that
have issues with soft decks (one of ours included)... They would be the
most obvious candidates for a major deck hack job.

Enjoy,
Melissa Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458