[Public-list] Possible day-sailer project

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu Jul 22 13:14:23 PDT 2004

Aaron,

I personally would not advise converting an Alberg 30 to a day sailor.
The boat was not designed to be ONLY a day sailor. For much less
temporal and monetary investment, you can find many classic boats
available second hand which were designed with day sailing in mind and
which will provide you many of the same benefits of an Alberg 30 that we
all love while being much more optimized for people who want to go
sailing during the day. The maintenance of these boats will be easier,
their sailing equipment will likely be as good or better, their
construction will likely be just as stout, and many of them have class
associations much like ours (though maybe not QUITE so wonderful...;-)

In production boat circles, you might consider a Shields (S&S design
circa 1960), an Atlantic (W Starling Burgess design, circa 1920), an
Etchells (Etchells design, I'm not sure when), or a Soling (former
Olympic class racer). There are active fleets of these boats all around
the country. They are all of similar size to the A30 (roughly 25-30 feet
in length, somewhat less beam and deck area, greater draft). There will
be quality secondhand boats available, and all have class associations.
I have not priced them, but I suspect that decent secondhand boats are
competitively priced with good secondhand Albergs. None of these boats
will have installed mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and so forth.
Therefore, they are much simpler to use, sail, and maintain. Poke around
in your area and see what kinds of classes are active, and I'd bet you
might find some good day sailors.

There are many custom or short-run small and classic daysailors out
there available to consider. If you are looking for hidden beauty to
bring back, there are plenty of neglected old boats with high pedigree
available. You should keep in mind that this kind of project requires a
tremendous amount of time, energy, and money.

Personally, my favorite day sailor design is the Buzzard's Bay 25,
designed by Nathanael Herreshoff. You might also consider some of the
Fisher's Island sloops or Deer Isle one design boats. These boats are
beautiful, classic, about the right size, and wonderful sailing
machines. Many of them have been around the better part of a century and
are still raced regularly.

If you decide that you want a cabin and the capability to go for
overnight trips or on the ocean, I think the Alberg 30 would be a great
boat for you. However, if you just want a day sailor, maybe you should
think about looking for boats that were designed with the day sailor in
mind, rather than cutting the cabin off a boat designed with other
purposes in mind.

Kind regards,

J Bergquist
Calliope #287