[Public-list] Re: crack leak at the keel

Henry Hilliard island_light at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 19:51:11 PDT 2004

  Thank you George and all for your input on my  keel
leak issue.
   The description of stalacites forming  at the base
of the keel explains my situation after last winter.
The suggestion I take the "taste test "  to determine
the contents bode a bit toxic as the blue liquid drips
from off the bottom paint. I have taken the whiff test
: salt brine is all I get.
   I'm more intimate with Celeste's keel after
removing I presume much of  her 35 years of bottom
paint over the last two days. Once I got down to the
gel coat  I found several chips that dig into the
substructure. I suspect most boats of this vintage
have a few dings like this hiding under layers of
bottom paint where water seepage seems likely.
   As for the seam connection it doesn't have a
consistent gel coat . So my conclusion is I don't have
a crack issue rather a pourous material (as George
points out)  that is perhaps most  suscepatble to
leaks at the seam.

Henry Hilliard
Celeste #394