[Public-list] Chainplate knees and mast pad

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 31 09:36:28 PDT 2004

Mike:
    If you want to see what really happens with movable and flexible rigs,
then go to the Moth or I - 14 fleets and see what they do to balance the rig
and CLR. You will have to factor out the carbon bends, but at least appreciate
that they help incredibly on attaining rig balance over a wide range of wind
pressures!  It also may be that one would like to re-read Stuart Walker's
books, Small Boat Racing and   Performance Advances in Small Boat Racing,
which detail the changes made to the I - 14 boats over a time period. While
these books are not new, the physics of the sail rigs described is comparable
when the comparison is an Alberg. Other dinghys, like the Y-Flyer,   do have a
range of allowable legal mast placements (8 inches on an 18' 3" boat length)
which would allow one to sail under differing rig  balances, but those
skippers who win races have set the boat up to one step  location only (as far
aft as allowed by the one design rules),  because the boat is  fastest at that
one  location. It is always cheaper to try it  on a boat that has a design
that allows for movement of the mast step rather than making repeated
permanent changes and trying  to measuere the performance differences. The
application of the physics involved is the same,  whether a dinghy or keelboat
is what is under the skipper's feet.
Don