[Public-list] forum to discuss mandatory wear of personal flotation devices

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Jun 1 17:20:41 PDT 2004

Mr. Holloway,

I regret that I will be unable to attend the NTSB forum.  However, I
would like to provide some input on this topic.  The fact that the NTSB
has placed such a requirement on it's "most wanted" list prior to
conducting research, tell me that my input will probably be in vain, as
the Board has already decided what is appropriate.  Nevertheless, I
would like to raise the following issues.

1. The Coast Guard statistics reported do no say how many active boaters
there were in 2002, but I am sure that 750 boaters is a very, very small
percentage of them.  Boating has excellent safety numbers, in spite of
the fact that some lives are lost.  Zero fatalities is an unrealistic
goal, and could only be achieved by eliminating boating altogether.

2. Given that laws cannot force people to take action, but can only
punish them for not doing so, it is a sure thing that not all of the
boaters who drowned without wearing PFDs would have been saved no matter
what the law said.  In fact, I would hazard a guess that, considering
the number of boating accidents that take place with vessels out in
conditions that a prudent mariner would consider manifestly unsafe for
the given vessel, or that take place with vessels operated in a
manifestly unsafe manner, it is likely that few of these 637.5 boaters
would have been wearing lifejackets even if required by law.  Therefore,
the estimate that 450 lives could have been saved if these boaters had
been wearing PFDs does *not* imply that 450 lives could have been saved
by passing such a law.

  Sincerely,

    George Dinwiddie

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org