[Public-list] RE: Anchor stowage, anchor locker

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Jun 2 08:54:40 PDT 2004

Albergers,

Some time ago, during my exocentric phase, I floated the idea of converting
the rhode locker to an anchor well by adding a triangular hatch between the
bow plate and bow cleats (of course, I also suggested a Crow's Nest on the
main mast; but, contrary to popular opinion, I was not the one who suggested
a retractable keel).  Seems to me it could solve allot of problems.

I have spent some time wedged in this area and there is gobs of room, if you
are an anchor.  The "floor" could be raised and curved to holes on each side
of the hull for drainage.  Cleats best moved to adjacent to toe rail.  Even
though this area resists the tension load from the head stay, the necessary
structural reinforcing could easily be incorporated into the hatch frame.
The hatch could be wood (adding a nice "spot of tradition" forward)  or
fiberglass and, thanks to the holes, would not have to be completely water
tight.

Imagine;
1) The hatch could be hinged on one side or at the aft end.
2) If vent holes are cut in bulkhead to the forward cabin, aft hinge could
work as wind scoop but without rain worries.
3) Muddy anchor could be lowered directly into locker and washed down there
rather than on deck.
4) Anchor could be fastened to inside of  hatch to avoid entanglement w/
rhode.
5) Small kids could serve their "time-outs" there (hatch closed if they
really bad).
6) Open hatch will make good air brake or water scoop in a seaway.

This is such a good idea, I think I will go to the boat tonight and cut a
big hole in the fore deck or, instead, have a big scotch and think about it
a little more.

Where there is a will, there is three times the amount of time you thought
it would take.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
on the hard at N40° 33.945' W79° 51.260'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and,
in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.
The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than
speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell
check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the
sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.
If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the
message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.