[Public-list] fuel tank in engine compartment

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed May 5 08:48:33 PDT 2004

Good Morning Albergers,

After everyone's valuable feedback some tine ago, I have abandoned the idea of a fuel tank under the cabin sole.  I am now thinking of moving my 11 gal. diesel tank to the area under the cockpit sole (so filler would be accessed through the inspection port).  It was in the starboard cockpit locker and took up allot of space.  I have a crazy scheme to run ventilation air first through the seat lockers (from a cowl vent aft) then to the forward end of the engine compartment and  aft.  If I locate the fuel tank in the engine compartment, then all of the stinky stuff will be at the downstream end of the ventilation flow.  Plus if the exhaust fan is at the downstream end, everything will be under negative pressure which would help prevent hot, smelly air from leaking into the cabin.

I am also thinking of putting the wet exhaust system muffler a few inches under the tank and above the prop shaft.  It looks like everything will fit and be reasonably accessible.  I seem to recall others mentioning their tanks were located below the cockpit.  Any thoughts on how this might work, particularly from a safety perspective?  I have learned that the flash point of diesel fuel is 160 degrees F but don't know what kind of temperatures to expect in the engine compartment.

Thanks

Roger Kingsland
Chief Financial Officer (AKA, check writer)
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'