[Public-list] Stuffing Box Issue

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon May 24 03:53:46 PDT 2004

OK this may be a bit long winded due to the details but if you must reply
please read the whole message firest as I may have addressed your solution
already.

I have just aligned my Atomic 4 and the propshaft is spinning nicely.
I had the chance to see that the stuffing box was doing a steady stream
instead of a drip so I tightened the stuffing nut. This did not work. So I
concluded I needed to repack the stuffing box.

I purchased flax from the local guys at Fawcetts and was informed that
along with the new type of synthetic flax I would also need some type of
teflon grease. I can go off on this tangent later but I purchased a tube
of superlube teflon type grease.

Having cleared the  old flax out and placing new flax well greased in 3
rings inside the stuffing nut I tightened the nut. Success all leaking
stopped. I then backed off to the point that a very slow drip came out at
idle. Then I powered up the motor and shifted into gear to adjust for a
drip under power.

All of this seemed to work nicely.

However, I started to notice that the stuffing box was getting hot.
Not burning hot but warm. This concerns me as I dont want to have
something go while motoring.

Finally my question:
I am considering getting the really expensive teflon lube sold at Fawcetts
to replace the superlube but wanted to see if any one had any other advice
on adjusting this.

I have loosened the nut so as to have a steady stream of water flow but
still the nut gets hot/warm. A friend suggested that if the 6 second rule
can be applied then don't worry.

I have done a little googling and found contrasting opinions on the
temperature of the stuffing box. One opinion suggests it is ok to let it
get warm another suggests it is not.

I understand that burrs and scoring can cause resistance that will
generate the heat I am experiencing but the shaft appears quite smooth at
the location of the propnut.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

--
C.B. Currier