[Public-list] Fuel filters

Peter Amos p.a.amos at tesco.net
Fri May 28 09:18:12 PDT 2004

We had a thread earlier this month about Racor Filters.This sent me on a search for information about the secondary filter supplied as standard with the Universal M3 20B.Trying to contact Westerbeke from the UK through the internet just got me referred to the British agency so I contacted them and asked"what is the micron rating for the standard secondary filter"After a lengthy silence the answer was "dont know but will try to find out and call you back"Three days later they called with the infomation "25microns"?
I have reservations about this.When a 2 micron pre filter was mentioned by me there was an audible intake of breath and I was told this could stress the fuel pump.
More digging on the internet produced only a list of equivalents for the Universal P/N 298854.These are NAPA 3390,Hastings 847,Kubota 7000-43081 and Fram P3726, but nothing on the micron rating for any of them.British autoparts stores have no information on micron ratings for anything and give me suspicious looks when I ask.
If I were in the U.S.A. I would pursue this search for information. From the U.K. I would have to make  telephone calls to the Statesand hold for extended periods at great expense.
Perhaps someone with an M3 20B and a thirst for knowledge would like to run with this?
Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478