[Public-list] WiFi access anyone?

Brian Palmer Bpalmer at DigitalArsenal.com
Wed May 26 12:23:28 PDT 2004

Thanks everyone for the tips for what wireless carriers to use and which
to steer clear of.

Another nerdier question... Does anyone have any experience with using
publicly available or pay-per-use WiFi access points on the bay?  I know
for example there are a couple coffee shops in Annapolis harbor that
provide wireless, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use
WiFi 802.11b at different anchorages?  I know most of you are thinking
that the last thing you'd want is to be on the internet while you are
out on the water... I work for myself, and I'm thinking that I could
take extended weekends if I could do some work on the boat...

I've bought an 8.5db gain omni-directional outdoor 802.11b antenna and
75ft of LMR400 cable.  I'm going to mount the antenna on the mast top
and I'm curious what kind of signal I'll be getting.  I have a pigtail
that lets me hook my laptop wifi card to this antenna, and since wifi is
based on line-of-sight, I'm hoping I can start to find areas with a good
signal with a 40ft tall antenna (although I know I'll be looking for
small pockets to use it, and most of the places will have nothing).

-Brian