[Public-list] Mast support beam

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon May 3 06:23:36 PDT 2004

In fact this will change the rake on the mast and you might want to read some of
Stuart Walker's comments on rake with respect to upwind performance in race
boats. I also think he has some good comments on how tight to have rigging when
sailiing. On Deck stepped masts, tight rigging only exacerbates driving the mast
through the deck amd since the Alberg 30 hull is as strong as it is, this point
at the base of the mast takes much of the downward force that the strong hull
can translate from the ends. Sailing World did a story of Aussie 2,  the
America's Cup boat, when she broke up off San Francisco and they figured there
was a force of more than 500,000 lbs  upwards on the ends of that hull when she
broke in two. Be warned that you can generate very large forces with tight
rigging because of the leverage effects of the length of the hull.
    I don't think I would wait until the next time the boat is in a yard to fix
this deck/beam repair to avoid it  being  the weather that might bring things
to  deck level or below with a crash! Schedule the trip to the yard for the near
future.
Don Campbell