[Public-list] Mast support beam

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon May 3 07:04:56 PDT 2004

Hi there -

Can't resist telling a story from my early days in the business.  A fellow
was having a new rig built... I was interested in learning how the old one
came down so kept asking questions whenever he came in.  After initial
reluctance, he admitted the following stranger than fiction story.

"I was sailing along and noticed that the shrouds on the low side were
loose, so I tightened them.  Later, on the other tack the shrouds on the
other tack which had been tight now seemed loose, so I tightened them.

(here is where it gets good)

"I realized that the pressure of the wind was pushing the rig to one side or
the other so I went from one tack to the other tightening the shrouds after
each tack trying to make them uniform.  Then the mast broke."

Honest, that's a true story..

Gord
#426 Surprise