[Public-list] Mast support beam

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon May 3 17:45:02 PDT 2004

Peter,

It sounds like you may have some core rot in that area.  Even though the
arrangement is not the best, from the point of view of physics, it seems
adequate if the deck strength is maintained.  The fiberglass covering on
the top and bottom of the deck core creates a stress-skin laminate that
is quite rigid and strong, but if the core deteriorates then you're left
with two separate pieces of rather thin fiberglass.

Check it out.  I think you may want to pull the mast and re-core that
area, preferably with a synthetic core that will not rot.

The other issues mentioned in this thread are secondary to what you're
describing.  Some people have added wedges to the bulkheads of the head
and hanging locker to better support the beam.  Sometimes the inner
liner has sagged or the bulkhead has not filled the slot well and the
beam has dropped down.  In these cases, you do need to support the
bulkhead underneath the interior liner.

What you describe, sagging aft of the mast, however, sounds like a clear
case of deck delamination to me.

  - George