[Public-list] Racing rules

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri May 7 05:34:33 PDT 2004

Interesting case...

I would say that you were within your rights as windward boat to hold your
course if all they did was call for room but not make a move to take it.
Even if you sagged down on them a little you are OK if they do not make a
move to take their room back.

I was trained to do that in crowded starts...my instructor, an ex-Olympic
Finn sailor called it "using your elbows to make room".  He suggested making
room to weather by calling for it and swooping up under a boat to windward;
then edge down a little on the boat to leeward - but only until they noticed
and reacted at which point you crowd the boat to weather again.

This sort of thing only becomes unethical if you press rights (on the boat
to leeward) that you don't have by ignoring their rightful attempt to take
back room.

The danger is that the boat to leeward can protest (as he did) knowing that
in the protest court he is the one who walks in with the halo already
shining.  I'll bet the swoop to leeward was theatrical to underline hurt
feelings.  The "port tack" error you mention underlines that he might be a
less experienced sailor and took what he felt was "too close" (10' is a
mile) as personal and aggressive.

On another area - we race up here under the "new" IYRU rules that don't
automatically disqualify a boat in a protest situation anymore.  Are you
familiar with the change a few years ago?  If in doubt you can clear the
slate with a 360 before the end of the race.

Our first race is in a couple of weeks - ol'Surprise was brought home to the
Club from the marina yesterday and our first practice may be Sunday.  Can't
wait.

Gord #426 Surprise