[Public-list] what to do with shaft when the engine is gone?

Finkenberg, Lincoln S. lsfinkenberg at bryancave.com
Mon May 10 17:51:56 PDT 2004

Can I just take off the prop?

	-----Original Message-----
	From: public-list-bounces at alberg30.org on behalf of Brian and Elaine Timmins
	Sent: Mon 5/10/2004 6:56 PM
	To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
	Subject: Re: [Public-list] what to do with shaft when the engine is gone?

	A real simple way to do this would be to remove the original shaft and prop,
	but leave the stuffing box, stern tube, and cutlass bearing in place. Go to
	your local freindly shaft shop and pick up a bronze stub shaft and have it
	threaded for nuts on both ends. Install the stub shaft with a nut on the
	inside and on the outside. then tighten the stuffing box. This will leave
	all the bits and pieces in place in case you change your mind or sell the
	boat and still seal the hole. It shouldn't be a maintenance problem since
	the shaft will not be turning.
	Just another method.
	Regards,
	Brian ex#497