[Public-list] Stuffing Box Issue

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon May 24 06:44:40 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:09:20AM -0400, C.B. Currier wrote:
> I do 2 things.
>
> 1. I go over the motor and fairly simply un bolt the stuffing box nut.

I go over the motor, too, for the prop shaft stuffing box.  For the
rudder post stuffing box, I cut an access in the port locker
(http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/AccessToStuffingBox/)

> You probably need a pair of good size wrenches or channel locks to undo
> the locknut before removing the stuffing nut.

There's a number of good choices of stuffing box wrench.  See
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBoxWrenches/
for some of the possibilities.

> BTW: I used 1/4 inch packing. This round & it fits perfectly.(remember I
> have an Atomic 4 with a 7/8ths shaft.)

I used 3/16" packing, also for a 7/8ths shaft.  It squashes down to fill
the gap, and seems to work fine.  I also switched to the stuff Mike
described, last time I did it.  See
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/

 - George