[Public-list] Stuffing Box Issue

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon May 24 06:09:20 PDT 2004

I do 2 things.

1. I go over the motor and fairly simply un bolt the stuffing box nut.
You probably need a pair of good size wrenches or channel locks to undo
the locknut before removing the stuffing nut. Don't worry about the water
inflow  just pump, later. But be sure you are prepared to replace the
stuffing & tighten as fairly immediately. (you don't want to got to west
marine to get the right size stuffing & return the next day as the boat
may be a little low in the water.)

2. If you have problems you can got through the cockpit access hole. That
lets you aslo get a wrench in but ususally only one arm at a time. That is
a good way of checking the stuffing boxfor the temperature.

BTW: I used 1/4 inch packing. This round & it fits perfectly.(remember I
have an Atomic 4 with a 7/8ths shaft.)

C.B. Currier
Infinity $57 ($ not a typo just a comment)
Daybreak $458