[Public-list] Racing a 38 columbia

Jim McNamara alberg30anemone at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 21:45:46 PDT 2004

Dick,

I have hull #190 sailing out of Dauphin Island, AL.

Note to Patty Johnson,

Thanks for asking after Anemone and myself, I decided not to take her out
for the Dauphin Island race ( sail inventory issues ).  I crewed with my sister
and her husband on their Bristol Channel Cutter. We, too, were overpowered
when the real wind hit us. We suffered rips in the head sail and the stay sail,
so we called it a day.

I have taken Anemone out often since then and couldn't be more pleased with
this terrific boat.

Jim McNamara
Anemone #190
Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com> wrote:
Hi group:Been a long time since I sailed and took part on alberg
correspondence.Finally brought my boat back down Bayou Lafourche after
nearly 2 years,two back to back storms forced me up north,and a wife
that doesn't like to sail has kept me pondering the future of #191.Well
I'm sure there's some one out there with a spouse who just doesn't want
to sail,and its unusal to not do things together especially when you've
always been like mutt and Jeff.
(Little short story)
There's a new kid in town a 38 columbian,centerboard,well I finally got
a chance to see how bad he would beat me on all points of
sail!!!!!!Downwind,no contest his genoa,on furling was so big I thought
it was a spinnaker at first,on the beam he beat me again but not so
bad.When we made our turns towards a very narrow channel we were closed
hauled and I was ahead and on the winward side of the channel,maybe 50
yards ahead.It took him quiet a while to finally catch up to me,but
having the advantage everytime he came to pass my sails blocked his wind
and I would pull ahead again.this went on for about a mile or so till he
finally passed me.My bottom is dirty,barnacles etc.Had I had a clean
bottom he would have never caught me!!!!!Wind at 15 and I had a 160 %and
the main.And he was not a beginner ,everytime I trimmed I looked over
and we were like bookends.
Glad to be sailing again.Is this typical that an alberg can hang with
bigger boats,or was this just a fluke???????/ Wind Dancer #191
Galliano,La. Dick Fillinich