[Public-list] mast compression

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Nov 7 17:11:38 PST 2004

Patty,

461 is a new-style boat and has an aluminum beam rather than a wooden
one.  There are two potential problems, however.

1. If the balsa core cabintop around the mast has gotten wet, it will
rot and allow the cabintop to sink under the load.  The fix for that is
to pull the mast and re-core the rotted deck.  Actually, I'd suggest
making it solid glass under the mast, itself.  Use a foam core for other
areas.  See http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/DeckRepairs/ for
more details.

2. If the inner liner is sagging, you need to cut an access hole in the
vertical part at the door to the forepeak and glass in bulkheads under
it for support.

Describe what you're seeing in more detail, and let's understand what
you're dealing with.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.