[Public-list] mast compression

Patty J Timbuktu5555 at webtv.net
Mon Nov 8 21:48:45 PST 2004

George,

There is a definate compression.  Though, since  I've had the boat
nearly two years I haven't noticed any difference in the compression
from the time I bought the boat.  The mast is leaning aft just enough to
allow me to outpoint the J27's!  However, I think the previous owner did
some repairs as there is a big spot just below the mast in the cabin
where it looks like they cored it out and did something, but I'm not
sure what they did.  On deck, there is evidence of indentation of the
mast.  I have been fine with the boat and it's performance.  However,
it's my rigger who is concerned.  He's afraid to tighten the shrouds and
says I shouldn't even sail it as it is, saying that I could lose my mast
at the spreaders if I crash upon a good wave.  I find this hard to
believe as I just returned from a fast race in 20k winds and the mast
was very stable.

So, you are saying that the arch thing will not work on my boat.
Shucks!  It sure seems a lot easier than taking the mast down and
glassing in everything.

Thanks for the input,

Patty
Timbuktu #461