[Public-list] Leaky Deck joints

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 08:00:30 PST 2004

A quick fix is to dig out the cauking from both sides of the toerail and
re-caulking the joint. If your boat has a SS rub rail, it means removing
that and cleaning up the joint. That is probably all you have to do.

If your boat has a flat cap rail [instead of a stand-up toe rail] check
underneath [inside the boat] to see if the deck/hull joint is thru-bolted or
fastened with pop-rivets. If it is pop-riveted and has the flat cap rail,
then the permament fix is to remove the cap rail, drill out the rivets, and
replace them with #10 flat-head bolts re-caulking as you go. It sounds like
a bigger job than it is, but it requires 2 people and a lot of patience
removing the rail so you can reuse it, and a couple of days of work putting
everything back together.

In either case the mast does not need to be removed.

Mike Lehman