[Public-list] Water in Keel Cavity

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Nov 22 21:33:43 PST 2004

John,

The A30 has a relatively porous hull.  It will soak up water.  It will
hydrolyze the fiberglass, but it doesn't tend to form blisters because
the hydrolyzed resin flows back out through the porous gelcoat.

The first year we had Calypso, I had water draining at the rudder shoe
all winter.  Yes, I think this is an "unrepairable situation" that, in
50 or 100 years, might prove to be the death of the boat. ;-)

I would suggest moving slowly on this.  It's a new boat to you and the
temptation is to jump at any possible problem.  But the boat's already
37 years old and has been living in northern climates.  It's not going
to suddenly disintegrate.

My suggestion is to let it dry over the winter and fill any gouges.  If
you have some blisters or loose patches, you can grind them out and fill
them, too.  Little spot repairs may be all you ever need, and you can
check things every time you haul to see if it looks any worse.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash