[Public-list] Water in Keel Cavity

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 16:14:23 PST 2004

John Irving wrote:
> This morning I checked my boat and noticed a wet  spot about 14" long
> along the bottom of the forward end of the keel. The  boat is on stands
> and is covered, with the front end Hey Alberg 30  friends,

We hit a rock hard this season, and when we hauled out, I had a small drip
of water from the front of the keel.

I feared the worst, of water making its way to the iron ballast and all  that
would mean. But grinding the area down, I found the impact had opened a  void
in the laminate that must have been there for 37 years, and that the
encapsulation of the ballast was still intact.

Hope this is encouraging to you, John,
Lee
Stargazer #255