[Public-list] That brown goo from weeping blisters

William Wallace tristan at one.net
Mon Nov 29 15:06:40 PST 2004

John,

Many of our classic boats from the 1960's and 1970's (and some even
later) have water intrusion due to poor efforts by previous owners to
drill out hardware bedding holes and fill with epoxy, then drill, and
rebed hardware (winches, cleats, fairleads, etc.).  Without filling the
holes with epoxy and careful bedding, many of our boats had water leak
into the balsa or plywood core through holes left from hardware
mountings.  I just bought my 1962 Seafarer Rhodes Meridian (even though
it was designed by Phil Rhodes, it looks a bit like a Pearson Ariel by
Alberg) in Florida, a year and a half ago, knowing that it had some
delamination on the fore starboard deck.  The chainplates are leaking
so eventually I will have some deck work to do, but it is not a big
deal.  The boat is superbly designed (I must say much better than these
"go fast" boats of today!) and well built, so it deserves the work I
will give her!  Don Casey explains the process in his book on fixing up
Good Old Boats.

Scott Wallace, Seafarer Rhodes Meridian WATERMARK