[Public-list] Boot Stripe

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Oct 12 08:37:34 PDT 2004

Albergers,

In previous episodes I was advised there is a line in the gel coat that represents, if not the waterline, at least the point where the boat is "on her lines."  After a few applications of paint remover and scrape, scrape, scrape, I discovered two lines about 2-1/2" apart amidships and 5" apart at the bow.  The most recent boot stripe is about 1-1/2" higher than one that would fit in between the lines I found.  Can anyone advise me on methods to determine where the bottom of the stripe should be.  I would like to have it as low as possible but still have only bottom paint in the water when fully loaded.  I wonder if I should just paint the hull color to a few inches below the lower line and see where the stripe should go when she gets wet.

Thanks,  Roger

Roger L. Kingsland, AIA
Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates (KSBA)
N40° 27' 49"  W79° 57' 59"
3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
www.ksba.com

1(412) 252-1500 X101 - Office & Voice Mail
1(412) 779-5101 - Mobile (no voice mail)
1(412) 252-1510 - Fax