[Public-list] Wind and sails on the A30

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 08:02:28 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/18/2004 9:26:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com writes:

and  18-20 knots with genoa and full main.
We've been getting to know Stargzer these past two seasons sailing her. I
guess I am a scaredee cat; the number one comes in when it gets above 8, the
number two at 12-15, and the number three above 18. I've got a nice little high
clew storm jib for above 18 that balances nicely with the reefed main. First
reef goes into the main at 16 or so. Second reef above 25. We haven't gone to
a  third reef yet.

I felt I was getting the best speed out of the boat when her lee toe rail
was a couple of inches above the water. When I wait too long to reduce sail, I
feel she is overpowered and sluggish on the helm. Plus, changing headsails on
the fordeck is more of chore the higher the winds, so sooner is definitely
easier and better than later.

When we sailed the Alberg 22, there was more incentive to reduce sail on
time; with her low freeboard, we got soaking wet if she was carrying too much
sail!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe I am still over-reactive from those  days!!!!!!!!!

'Someday' we may put in a good roller furling/reefing system for the
headsail, with a good, well shaped headsail, and then with the task of reducing  sail
so much easier, we may carry on under more sail longer. We'll see. :)

Thoughts?

Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255