[Public-list] Re: buying an Alberg

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Oct 31 11:52:12 PST 2004

  As has been mentioned, reinforcing the mast supporting beam is a
standard Alberg 30 maintenance item that has been reduced to commonplace
and is relatively straightforward now. When I was looking for a boat I
found several Albergs had gas tank corrosion, which is also no big deal
as plastic tanks are readily available and not very expensive.  When
hauled, the thru-hulls should be checked and updated if the original
Whitby items are still in place, as they are hazardous. Also, on a 30+
year old boat the wiring may  need to be replaced. Again, just a factor
of age and the fact that wiring technology has been updated as time has
passed. My boat is old enough to have the masonite core, which I like,
and no liner, which I also like. There are issues like the icebox that
some like better than others. My boat has a diesel, which is a common
upgrade, but the Graymarine engine is probably better than the Atomic 4.

    You will not be buying a new boat, at new boat prices, but the
Alberg has classic lines and is built in very substantial form, stronger
than most boats of its size. It has "stood the test of time" very well.
It is a stout boat, well worth the routine maintenance and upgrades.

- Gordon White, A-275 Brigadoon II