[Public-list] Re: buying an Alberg

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:03:12 PST 2004

Reinforcing the mast beam on the older boats with wooden beams is necessary
because the glue used by Whitby gives up and causes the beam to delaminate.
The repair is straight-fore, easy, inexpensive and a permanent fix.

The older boat with the masonite core have not had any major deck problems.
This is because the masonite is really pegboard [with the holes] that help
to create a *sandwich* bond between the layers.

The Grey Marine is a great engine, very durable and can be rebuilt thru Van
Ness Engineering. Parts are not a problem either.

One of the biggest benefits of the older A30s is that everything is glassed
together [the bulkheads to the deck and hull, etc] these boats are very
strong.

The cockpit in the older boats may become soft, because of the way the
rudder stern tube funnels the water to the underside of the cockpit sole.
This does not represent a structural problem, and can be fixed by simply add
a teak cockpit grate to the boat.

IMHO, 7 is a lot of people on the boat, whether you are cruising or racing.

Mike Lehman