[Public-list] Re: pests

Austin Meyermann somedaysailor2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 10:58:06 PDT 2004

Hello all, I think it about time for me to step in...

Now, I may not know my keel from my rudder but I do know a bit about creepy crawlies (snakes and spiders).

The spiders that you have on your boats that spin webs, have large abdomens, and hang around your shrouds are all part of the super family Araneoidea.

Araneoidea is made up of Araneidae (orb weavers) and Therididae (cob web spiders). Orb weavers are species like garden spiders. They weave a web and wait for an unlucky fly. Cob web spiders are species like black widows (we don't have them around here). They like out of the way spots like under steps, etc.

Neither of these families (Araneidae or Therididae) really woud be consumers of cicadas...they are just too big. These guys will eat tons of flies though!

However, these spiders love boats because of the availability of habitat to spin large webs. Think about from the spiders perspective.

With regard to removing them, I think the solution is to sail more! If a spider continually has its web destroyed it will change locations. Webs are nutritionally expensive (the proteins involved) and spider does not want to waste the material (the sometimes consume their webs the next day).

Any questions about the creepy crawls...give me a shout.

Austin
Inherit the Wind

Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote:
I've heard that we are having a bumper crop of spiders this year because of
the cicadas. Their carcasses have provided an abundance of food for the
spider popultion. I am not sure if this is true or not, but it makes some
sense to me.

Mike Lehman