[Public-list] Cleaning cowls

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Oct 12 12:02:27 PDT 2004

Hi A30 people,

I used caulking remover, which is esentially Xylene (the same as
consumer "goof off" tape remover). The finish on my original 1966 cowls
is a little dull anyway, but this stuff took off everything, including
some mildew. You might want to try that. Xylene is nasty stuff, but I've
had great success with it for cleaning, and it is indispensible for work
involving caulk. You do need to be careful on surfaces that it may tend
to soften, but the amount I used on the cowling did not have any
noticible bad effect.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY