[Public-list] Sumner fiberglass dingy question

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Oct 16 19:00:56 PDT 2004

The "correct" length of oars is a function of the beam of the dinghy.
Somewhere I've got a brochure that describes the formula, and I believe
it works out to 7-1/2' oars for a 4' wide dinghy.

The formulas are designed for optimum rowing.  For a dinghy, there are
other considerations.  I think I went with 6-1/2' oars, instead, since
the 7' oars that I had bought cheap seemed so clumsy around the raft.
Since learning to scull, it's not as big an issue, however.

I've seen oars as short as 4-1/2', but they're more work to use,  you
have to andle the oar down a lot and, unless you use a captive oarlock,
they tend to pop out.

  - George

P.S. See http://www.shawandtenney.com/sandtfaq.htm for this recommendation:

In short; take the span of your boat between oar locks, divide by 2 and
then add 2 inches to that total.
Then, divide by 7.
Then, multiply by 25.
This gives you the length of oar in inches.
Optionally, dividing your oar length inches by 12 will give you an
answer in feet.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash