[Public-list] Bronze turnbuckles - Inspection

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Tue Oct 19 12:15:57 PDT 2004

Michael,

When we had the rigging replaced in 97, the one comment my rigger made was
the looseness in the turnbuckles and recommended replacement. I would
recommend visiting West Marine or another marine supplier and check a new
turnbuckle against your current turnbuckle, this will give you an idea of
how much wear is in the threads.

We did replace the entire rig which was costly but we took his advise  This
was the same comment your surveyor made during your inspection. I think ours
were original at the time which have been 1965.

We also upgraded the back/fore stay and uppers to 9/32 wire. In discussions
with Yves, he recommended upgrading the lowers up one size as well,
unfortunately when I called the rigger the job was completed.

Stephen