[Public-list] Bronze turnbuckles - Inspection

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 18:38:47 PDT 2004

I have to comment on this. I have never know of an Alberg that has lost the
rig due to a rigging failure. The failures that I know about are:

527 - failed spreader
411 - collision [with another boat]
135 - Bridge collision [Chesapeake Bay Bridge]
 35 - Bridge collision (Intracoastal Waterway]
399 - forward lower knee failure [60 knot winds and a pitch pole]
464 - collision [with another A30]

How many more are there? What were the causes? The boats are getting older
and more maintenance is required, we need to check for cracked turnbuckles
and stripped threads, these are standard maintenance procedures on any boat.
My concern is that surveyor's are causing worries that are based on the
average boat - not the A30 and costing owners thousands $$ for needless
replacement of rigging.

My rigging is 32 years old, and I NEVER worry about it...maybe I should.

Mike Lehman