[Public-list] Lubricating turnbuckles, etc.

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Tue Oct 19 17:05:20 PDT 2004

  I am surprised that no one has mentioned the use of Anhydrous Lanolin for
lubricating turnbuckles and other devices.  I purchased a jar of it from a
local drugstore a few years ago and applied it to my turnbuckles only once.
As the name indicates it will not take on water and provides a lubricant
that does not gather dirt; doesn't smell and does not lose its lubricating
qualities.  My boat is stored only a thousand feet from one of the world's
largest salt mines which produces a tremendous amount of diesel grime from
underground.  Although this tends to dirty my dodger, etc., it does not
affect the AH at all.  I have six bronze turnbuckles (original) and two SS
turnbuckles which replaced galled bronze versions six years ago.  All turn
with hand operation only.  I picked up this hint from a Brion Toss video.

  Peter Hay
  Goderich, Ontario