[Public-list] Bronze turnbuckles - Inspection

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 20 07:40:20 PDT 2004

Kris:
    There are three lost of rigs that I know of in the Canadian fleet. I believe
Candy Cane  #583 lost her rig in a knock down in the Fujinon 300 with Peter Ashby
at the helm in the early 1990s. It was a particularly nasty storm that came
across the lake after dark about the Niagara River mouth and devastated many in
the fleet. John Birch can tell you more as he was in it and survived to finish
the race with his AL30, Wind Rose,  #544. The Fujinon was the original 300 mile
race around Lake Ontario, now known as the Lake Ontario 300. Wanderlove, KC 578
lost some of her rig on a south wind while tied to a wharf at Burlington B&SC
when two rigs tangled and locked up at their finger docks, (so always make sure
masts don't line up across the finger), and Jazz # 648 lost her rig in the last
race of the season last fall due to either a  spreader failure or too much
compression on the mast at the spreader and no compression fitting within the
mast. You can check that one further with John Kitchener.
    The two total failures were both in race boats,  under quite abnormal stress
in the first case and certainly stress in the second. I sometimes question how
tight the rigging needs to be before we get the stress too great and either force
the stick through the deck or collapse the carrying beam,  or lose the rig.
Don