[Public-list] sail shape (was: two 306's?)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Oct 20 10:29:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:35:11PM -0400, FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:
> Thanks for the thoughts on the main being blown out, George, as a cause for
> excessive heeling and need for early reefing. It does have a fuller shape than
> I  would like. Our headsails are pretty old, too.

I learned that lesson from experience.  I was amazed at the difference
when we got a new main.

Another think I've learned is that you can let half the main luff, and
the boat still sails.  This is a good way to keep the boat upright when
the wind picks up--kinda like scandalizing the main of a gaffer.  If
your main is too full, it may work better than changing the headsail.

 - George