[Public-list] A4 blues...

Bob bob at fox.nstn.ca
Mon Oct 25 10:08:28 PDT 2004

Hey Gord,

As others have suggested, use a volt meter, preferably a digital one, even
an inexpensive one is fine to check the voltage while running the engine.
Check the voltage while advancing RPM's to see any change in voltage.
At idle, the voltage should be a bit lower than higher RPM's

Check the belt to see if it is loose or worn. That may be the problem!

If it is not charging and you plan to take the alternator to the shop and
have it checked, it would not be a bad idea to bring the batteries as well
and have them "load tested" while they check the alternator.

Sometimes all you need is a new voltage regulator installed in the
alternator versus an alternator total rebuild.

If all checks fine with batteries and the alternator is charging, check the
wiring to and from alternator/ignition switch and starter etc.
High resistance in the wiring will cause you grief in the charging system.

I had a problem with the plug near the engine. I replaced the wiring from
the ignition/starter/alternator/solenoid. One of the problems was the
"orange" wire in that rubber plug near the engine. While in the process of
replacing the wiring, I replaced the original Amp meter in the cockpit
engine panel with a voltmeter. Changing the amp meter to a voltmeter was the
advice of the auto electric shop mechanic.

I hope this helps,

Bob
A30 #560