[Public-list] Backstay replacement...

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Wed Oct 27 04:33:24 PDT 2004

Brian,

I would recommend upgrading from 1/4 wire to 9/32 the safe working load of
1/4 is 6900 lbs and 9/32 is 9400 for a minimal increase in cost you gain a
significant SWL. This is an increase in one size which will accept the 1/2
in. pin. If you are using Sta-Lok fittings which you could do yourself,
fittings are approx $110.00 for the pin and eye, the wire is a approx. $2.00
a foot. With these numbers you can approximate your total cost for both fore
and back.

I would recommend the Sta-Lok when assembled they are sealed and stop water
intrusion that we see with a swage fitting.

Hope these figures and recommendations help.

Stephen