[Public-list] Backstay replacement...

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Oct 28 14:37:17 PDT 2004

Stephen,

I don't think I've heard of a dismasting due to wire failure.  And I
think that to use the additional load capacity of the wire you'll have
to upgrade the attachment points.  As delivered, the bolts holding the
chainplates (including the backstay) are about half the strength of the
wire.  You'd have to do more than the 5/16" bolt upgrade to hold the
9/32 wire down.

In other words, I think you may be optimizing in the wrong place.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash