[Public-list] mainsail reefing

Bob bob at fox.nstn.ca
Thu Oct 28 10:15:03 PDT 2004

Hi John,

I have the outer turning blocks (at outer end of boom) for the reef lines
and cleats on the starboard side of the boom.

My preference is that I would rather be on a starboard tack (especially when
racing) when putting a first or second reef in.

My guess is that you're not racing when you put a second reef in!

I would prefer and hopefully not have to give way to another boat while
getting caught putting a reef in while on starboard tack.

The boat can be reefed while on either tack but easier while on starboard
tack.

Instead of having cleats on the mast end of the boom for the reef lines,
Double Spinlocks with a winch on the mast end of the boom is "really nice"
to winch the first or second reef line in but it adds to the cost of the
whole setup.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob
A30 #560