[Public-list] mainsail reefing

Richard Mair r.mair at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 28 20:15:15 PDT 2004

James Schueler wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Would someone be able to explain in detail how to set up reefing for the
>main? Cringles and grommets are in place on the sail and cleats and
>fairleads on the boom but I'm not too sure of the proper way to run the
>lines. I've seen pictures where it appears the reefing lines run under
>and around the boom. I know I didn't have my last boat set up that way
>so I'm a bit confused.
>
>Thanks,
>
>James Schueler
>"Oddyseus" #170

What we have is 4 lines running to the cockpit. This allows us to put
in both reefs without going to the mast. At the boom the line does go
around the boom before going forward and turning down and back. No
cleats on the boom with this system just turning blocks. At the mast the
lines just go down to a turning block and back to the cockpit..We love
this system even though it is a lot of lines to run it works great.
Richard 609 Into the blue