[Public-list] Modified galley and v-berth.

David Fisher liquid_addiction at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:55:36 PDT 2004

My Alberg has these modifications.  She was a live aboard for some years
before I owned her and the former owners put a number of well thought out
additions in.  The stove, which used of course to starboard of the sink, is
replaced by a Force 10 two burner stove and oven forward, as in that one for
sale.  In the place of the old stove is a refrigerator box.  Another
refrigerator box is installed in the place of the oilskins hanger.  This
gives good benchspace for the galley.  Opposite, where the old ice box was,
is a nav table.  What is left of the starboard berth has been raised about
25 cm. to allow for more storage underneath.  The backrest is gone, with
cushion extending to the liner.  This extra width allows the space behind
the oven to be used to make that berth into a quarter berth style
arrangement.  It is a surprisingly good sea berth, where I can wedge myself
in safely and comfortably.

In the forepeak, the berth has been filled in so that it forms a double bed.
  To starboard there is storage, fire extinguisher and soon to be bits of
the collapsible tender I am building.  It works well, I think, however it
leaves the draws under less accessible.  It also fills the interior in more
than would the original set up.

For weekending and daysailing, the original interior would definately be
best, but as my home for at least part of the year and when I sail mostly
single handed or with one other, I find my arrangement great.  The force 10
oven and stove alone make the galley a better cooking areas than what I have
at home.

David,
Kalitsah 440, Sydney.