[Public-list] Lightning Protection

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Sep 5 18:06:26 PDT 2004

Thanks, Mike.  I'm still trying to get the old message archives.

I did some in-depth study of the problem, some years back.  Even if
you're not concerned with direct hits, there are significant problems.
For one thing, you need *at least* 2 square feet of clean copper in the
water to begin to have a grounding system that will do any good at all.
  Any electrostatic discharge system should be grounded to that, and
isolated from the through-hulls.  There have been many incidences of
through-hulls being blown out of the boat because of bonding or
grounding.  You also need a fairly straight path with a heavy conductor
from the air terminal to the ground.  Unless you have an exposed lead
keel and a keel-stepped mast, the difficulties are overwhelming.

Even then, it's not clear that grounding is the best idea in all
circumstances.  If I'm going to take my chances, anyway, I'll do it in
the fashion that requires less work.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.