[Public-list] Lightning Protection

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Sun Sep 5 15:04:49 PDT 2004

>I started thinking about lightning protection.
<snip>
>Does anyone else worry about this?

Yes. I was going to direct  you to the archives-the subject was covered in
detail a year or so ago. It doesn't look like the archives go back that far,
so...

I think George Dinwiddie had the best summation, if I may paraphrase him
from memory: there is no reasonable safeguard from a direct lightning
strike, there is simply too much energy involved. you can play around
ameliorating stray currents, but it is possible that by having a ground, you
will attract those strikes more than if you had no ground at all.

Not much help, I know, but nature is an awsome beast. Sometimes you just
have to take your chances.

Michael Grosh
Checkmate #220