[Public-list] 78 Amp alternator/Atomic 4

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Sep 7 10:58:51 PDT 2004

That does sound like reduced power in the engine, rather than increased
load by the boat.  The problem is that reduced power can be caused by so
many things, from an air leak at the carburetor to a restricted exhaust,
and anything in between.  I would start with some of the easier things.

Have you checked that all cylinders are firing?  With the engine
running, in gear in the slip to put it under load, try removing and
replacing the spark plug wires one at a time.  The RPMs should drop for
each one.  If it doesn't, that cylinder isn't contributing to the output
power.

BTW, the A4 will run on a single cylinder.  In fact, it will run, but
without much power, with two wires swapped.  Check that your firing
order is correct.

 - George