[Public-list] ELECTRIC DRIVE

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 14 07:12:04 PDT 2004

John;
    I checked the specs out for this motor and the recommendation is for
boats up to 3 tons. Jante II is well above that,  so at this time, this
single screw is not an option that I would trust . They do recommend the Duo
for boats up to 5 tons , and I would say you are at the absolute upper limit
with an Alberg 30, especially if you get out on either Lake Erie or Lake
Huron in a blow. You will need to reconfigure the hull to take 2 props and
driveshafts that are only 400 mm apart to make this work, so figure more
drag than you already have for sailing. The 400 mm centre to centre
measurement will be very awkward to fit the through hulls, cutlass bearings
supports and stern tubes on the hull of Jante II because of the compound
curves on the hull at the place you will want to mount the driveshafts.
`    If you are not motoring to the far south, the cheapest will be to
rebuild the motor you have if it needs it, and then reprop it to the new
specs. for torque and HP. My recollection is that you have a Greymarine in
that boat, and there have been references to Greymarine rebuilders and parts
sources  on this site as recently as August. It is very tough to justify a
diesel replacement for cost/benefit if you are just motoring in and out of
the harbour.

Don