[Public-list] ELECTRIC DRIVE

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Sep 14 08:11:48 PDT 2004

A simple way to see if this is a practical system is to compare the rate at
which you generate power the rate at which you use it.

Here is the charging rate vs speed from the website :
At 4 knots = 1-2 amps
At 5 knots = 3-5 amps
At 6 knots = 7-12 amps
At 7 knots = 14 - 20 amps

Let's say we get 3 amps.
3 amps * 12 volts = 36 volt-amps = 36 watts

I will guess the A30 needs about 15 of it's 30 hp to go 4 knots. I am
willing to believe the Oz motor and prop will be more efficient, so let's
say it only needs to deliver 10 hp to go 4 knots.
 10 hp * 746 watts/hp = 7460 watts

7460 watts powered / 36 watts sailing = 207 minutes of sailing for every
minute powered. If I take 10 minutes at each end to get in and out of the
dock, then I have to sail for 4140 minutes or 69 hours to charge back up.

It would appear that this system can't be independent - you need another
source of power to use it.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272